How to Communicate Effectively with your Employer
In order to maintain a comfortable relationship with your employer it is important to communicate regularly.
This can sometimes seem daunting for people, but, with a little preparation and practice, you can improve the quality of communication with your boss.
- Before you speak to your employer, take some time to write down all the topics you want to raise – Not too many !
- Make sure that you are very clear in your mind about what you are actually asking from your employer so they are not just left with the impression that you are complaining.
- In private, rehearse what you want to say to your employer and how you want to express it.
- Make “I” statements, such as “I need more guidance” or “I feel under-value” instead of “You” statements, such as “You haven’t given me guidance“ or “You don’t value my work.”
- Avoid going to your employer when you are emotional. Give yourself a cooling-off period to collect your thoughts first.
If you need assistance about how to raise a sensitive issue with your employer, you can speak to one of our consultants for advice. All discussions with Outfit Consultants are strictly confidential.